WHAT IS A UROGYNECOLOGIST?
A sub-specialist with Board Certification in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery.
The Urogynecologist cares for women with the following conditions:
- Incontinence: loss of bladder or bowel control, leakage of urine or feces.
- Prolapse: descent of pelvic organs; a bulge and/or pressure; ‘dropped uterus, bladder, vagina or rectum.’
- Emptying Disorders: difficulty urinating or moving bowels.
- Pain: discomfort to the lower back, pelvis or bladder and/or urethra.
- Overactive Bladder: frequent need to void, bladder pressure, urgency, urge incontinence (difficulty holding back urine when having the urge to urinate)
- Fistulas: abnormal hole between the vagina and rectum (rectovaginal), vagina and urethra (urethrovaginal), or vagina and the bladder (vesicovaginal)
Dr. Thomas is a Urogynecologist dually accredited as a Master Surgeon in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (MSMIG) and a Surgeon of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (SOEMIG) recognized by the Surgical Review Corporation (SRC).
Each candidate for accreditation is rigorously inspected to help ensure that patients receive:
- Safer Procedures
- Exceptional care before during and after surgery
- Fewer Complications
- Better overall surgical experience
- In-Office Services
- Urodynamic Testing
- Posterior Tibial Nerve Stimulation (PTNS)
- Bladder Instillation
- Pessary Care
Major Surgical Treatments
- Mid-Urethral Slings
- Botox of the Bladder
- Bladder Neck Bulking
- Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Procedures
- Vaginal Pelvic Floor Reconstructive Procedures
For more information please visit https://www.augs.org/patient-fact-sheets/